Thursday, November 6, 2008

Too many hats

My husband teases me. The sad thing is...he's right. Here is how it goes...

Anytime we are at an event, meeting, appt., etc. and the word volunteer is brought up, Jay immediately tries to hold me hand(s). Many would think this to be endearing and a beautiful token of affection but it's not. Jay is attempting to do what I should be capable of doing on my own, but I cannot. You see, my husband knows that I have a problem called volunteeritis. The minute it comes to my attention that someone is seeking assistance, my hands immediately fly in the air. Maybe this stems from my early childhood and always being the first child to raise their hand in class when asked a question. (Yes, I was a bit of a suck-up and an "A" student, so what?) Here is an example. After "storing" 140 cases of chocolate from Bubba's baseball team, Jay made me swear that I would never again volunteer to be team mom. (Chocolate cases do not make pretty coffee tables). Okay, he was right. But really, what does he know? I am passionate about a lot of things!

Then I started thinking.

In the last five years I have been the following: wife, mother, nurse, office administrator, PTA member, homeschooler, sewer, sales rep, marketing rep, non-profit organization co-founder, doula, student midwife, receptionist and honestly, the list goes on and on.

Jay constantly tells me that I have too much on my plate and I ignore him and go on with my day. Well the truth is, it has caught up with me. My name is Jen and I wear too many "hats." So today is the first day that I am beginning the "filtering" process. My family and homeschooling are my priorities. I chose to stay home to raise and homeschool our children and I am now finding that I feel pulled in too many other directions. As a family we are blessed that I can be home. It's time to pray about everything else and truly listen to the direction that God wants me to go in.

And by the way, please don't tell Jay that he was right. I will never hear the end of it! :)

1 comment:

with love, the fishers said...

but you are SO good at it! I admire that in you. but I totally understand what you're saying. cut backs are neeeded sometimes.